|Alt names||Celeorde||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Chilworth Old Village||source: village in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Mainsbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|South Stoneham Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chilworth is a village in Hampshire, England, very close to the city of Southampton. The village was referred to as "Celeworda" in the Domesday Book of 1086, and is now in two parts: modern Chilworth lying along the straight "new" stretch of the Southampton to Romsey road, and old Chilworth built around the "old" road.
Chilworth Old Village, at the west end, consists of former farm workers' thatched cottages interspersed with modern houses and bungalows built in the 1950s. The Anglican Church of St Denys, which lies on the edge of the Old Village, was rebuilt in 1812 and is noted for its old bells which date from about the year 1200. Most of the buildings from the 16th century are situated in the Chilworth Old Village Conservation Area.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chilworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHILWORTH, a parish in South Stoneham [registration] district, Hants; on the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, near Chandlers-Ford [railway] station, 4 miles ESE of Romsey. Post town: North Stoneham, under Southampton. Acres: 400. Real property: £973. Population: 176. Houses: 30. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £53. Patron: John Fleming, Esq. The church is good."
Chilworth was an ancient parish in the Mainsbridge Hundred and a civil parish. It was part of the Romsey and Stockbridge Rural District from 1894 until 1932 and of the South Stoneham Rural District from 1932 until 1974. It was increased in size in 1932 when it absorbed part of the parish of North Stoneham.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Chilworth.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Chilworth, Hampshire, England | Mainsbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England | South Stoneham Rural, Hampshire, England | Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England