|Alt names||Candevre||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Candover-Chilton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Chilton-Candover||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Candover Chilton||source: name variation|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England ( - 1932)|
|See also||Mainsbrough Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932||
|Candovers, Hampshire, England||civil parish formed in 1932 into which it was merged|
|Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chilton Candover from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CANDOVER-CHILTON, a parish in Alresford [registration] district, Hants; on the river Itchen, 5 miles N of New Alresford [railway] station, and 9½ NE of Winchester. Post Town: Brown-Candover, under Mitcheldever station. Acres: 1,472. Real property: £691. Population: 142. Houses: 21. The property all belongs to Lord Ashburton. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Brown-Candover, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is ancient, small, and good."
In 1932 the civil parishes of Brown Candover and Chilton Candover merged into a single civil parish named Candovers which became part of Basingstoke Rural District until 1974 and since then part of Basingstoke and Deane District.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Chilton Candover.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Chilton Candover, Hampshire, England | Mainsbrough Hundred, Hampshire, England | Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England | Candovers, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England