|Alt names||Cilbodetune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|Wherwell Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Andover Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chilbolton is a village and civil parish in the Test Valley District of Hampshire, near to Stockbridge. It is situated 18 miles (29 km) north of Southampton and 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Andover. Its most notable feature is the Chilbolton Observatory situated on the disused RAF Chilbolton airfield. The parish church of St Mary the Less dates back to the 12th century, on the site of an earlier wooden church.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Chilbolton.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Chilbolton, Hampshire, England | Wherwell Hundred, Hampshire, England | Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Andover Rural, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England