|Alt names||Chevington Drift||source: from redirect|
|East Chevington||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|West Chevington||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Warkworth, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which they were townships|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which they were located|
|Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which they were part 1894-1974|
|Bullocks Hall, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into West Chevington in 1955|
|Hadston, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into East Chevington in 1955|
|Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chevington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHEVINGTON, two townships and a chapelry in Warkworth parish, Northumberland. The townships are designated East and West; and they lie on the North-eastern railway, between Widdrington and Acklington stations, 5½ miles SSW of Warkworth. Acres: 2,225, and 1,804. Real property: £6,999; of which £1,363 are in mines. Population: 651 and 161. Houses: 121 and 32. The chapelry was constituted in 1862; and is of somewhat less extent than the townships. Post town: Widdrington, under Morpeth. Population: 635. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £350. Patron: the Bishop of Durham."
Chevington Drift, a coalmine located in East Chevington, has been redirected here.
East and West Chevington were townships in the ancient parish of Warkworth. They became separate civil parishes in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 they were both part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and each became part of the Castle Morpeth District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
In 1955 East Chevington absorbed the civil parish of Hadston and West Chevington absorbed the parish of Bullocks Hall.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.