- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chesterton is a small village in Warwickshire, England. The population of the civil parish taken at the 2011 UK census was 123. It is about five miles south of Leamington Spa, near the villages of Harbury to the north and Lighthorne to the south.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chesterton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHESTERTON, a parish in Southam [registration] district, Warwick; on the Fosse way, and on an affluent of the river Avon, 1¾ mile SW of Harbury [railway] station, and 4½ SW by S of Southam. It includes Kingston hamlet; and its post town is Harbury, under Rugby. Acres: 3,510. Real property: £4,189. Population: 217. Houses: 42.
- "The manor belonged, from the time of Edward II. till that of Henry VIII., to the family of Peyto; and belongs now to Lord Willoughby de Broke. The manor-house was built in the time of Edward IV.; enlarged, in 1630, after designs by Inigo Jones; and demolished in 1802. A large windmill, of circular form, on six arches, designed by Inigo Jones, surmounts an eminence near the church. A Roman camp, supposed by some to have been the Roman station Mediolanum, is within the parish on the Fosse way; and has yielded Roman coins. Chesterton wood is a meet for the Warwick hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £82. Patron: Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is ancient; and contains three fine monuments of the Peyto family. Lord Cobham, the famous Wickliffite, found shelter with the incumbent in Henry V. 's time; and Cardinal Peyto, the Pope's legate in the reign of Mary, was a native."
Kingston hamlet was also known as Little Chesterton.
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.