|Alt names||New Cheriton||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1932|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1932-1974|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Cheriton is a small village and civil parish located near the city of Winchester, in Hampshire, England. The settlement is perhaps most famous for being close to the location of the Battle of Cheriton in the English Civil War in 1644. Cheriton is also the source of the River Itchen. The village comprises two distinct sections: Cheriton and New Cheriton, situated half a mile distant from the main village beside the A272.
The church dates from the 12th century and is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Cheriton, Hampshire, England | Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England | Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England