Chemung is a town in Chemung County, New York, USA. The population was 2,563 at the 2010 census. The town name is derived from the river flowing through it, which means in the native dialect, "Big Horn."
The first clear record of settlement dates to about 1786.
The Town of Chemung was the original town in Chemung County and was incorporated into the county in 1798 at the time the county was formed [even though Chemung County was not created until 1836]. The town had been established in 1788 in Montgomery County, New York. Chemung lost territory when Tioga County, New York was formed in 1791. The "Town of Newtown" (now Town of Elmira) was taken from Chemung in 1792. Subsequently, Chemung lost more territory to form all or parts of Erin (1822), Baldwin (1856), and Ashland (1867).