Chediston is a village and a civil parish on the B1123 road, in the Suffolk Coastal District, in the English county of Suffolk. The population of the Civil Parish at the 2011 census was 195. It is 2 miles west of Halesworth, its post town. Chediston has a church.
There is a dispersed settlement at Chediston Green lying about half a mile away from the church to the north. Chediston, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, is also known as Cedestan, Cheddeston, Sedestane and other variations is thought to take its name from Saint Cedd (Cedd's town). Another possibility is that Cedd preached from a large galacial erattic stone (Cedd's stone)which can still be seen at Rockstone in Chediston.