Place:Checkley cum Wrinehill, Cheshire, England

NameCheckley cum Wrinehill
Alt namesCheckleysource: hamlet in parish
Randilowsource: hamlet in parish
Bunkers Hillsource: hamlet in parish
Wrinehillsource: hamlet in parish until 1965
Checkley-cum-Wrinehillsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates53.017°N 2.383°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoWybunbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There is another parish named Checkley east of Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Checkley cum Wrinehill is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, which lies adjacent to the boundaries with Shropshire and Staffordshire. The hamlet of Checkley lies to the south east of Crewe and to the west of Newcastle-under-Lyme. The parish is largely rural but also includes the small settlements of Bunkers Hill and Randilow. Wrinehill was formerly included in the parish, becoming part of Staffordshire in 1965. Nearby villages include Blakenhall, Bridgemere, Madeley in Staffordshire and Woore in Shropshire.

GENUKI provides the following information

Checkley cum Wrinehill was a township in Wybunbury ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish church for the township of Checkley cum Wrinehill was St. Chad's in Wybunbury. From 1840 St. John's in Doddington became the district church for Checkley cum Wrinehill. There was also a Primitive Methodist chapel in Checkley from 1824.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Checkley cum Wrinehill. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.