- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chatton is a village in Northumberland, England. It is roughly 6 km (3.7 mi) to the east of Wooler. The population, according to the 2011 UK census, was 338.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chatton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHATTON, a parish in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland; on the river Till, 4½ miles E of Wooler, and 6¾ WSW of Lucker [railway] station. It has a post office under Belford. Acres: 17,090. Real property: £14,922. Population: 1,651. Houses: 310. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £480. Patron: the Duke of Northumberland. The church is very good."
Chatton was originally an ancient parish in the Glendale Ward of Northumberland. Doddington was a chapelry that became a separate ancient parish in 1775. Chatton remains as a civil parish today.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.