|Alt names||Chaseley||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Gloucestershire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Pershore (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Gloucester Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chaceley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHASELEY, or CHACELEY, a parish in the [registration] district of Tewkesbury, and county of Worcester; on the river Severn, 3 miles SW of Tewkesbury [railway] station. Post town, Tewkesbury. Acres: 1,725. Real property: £4,023. Population: 307. Houses: 71. The property is much subdivided. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the [diocese] of Worcester. Value: £134. Patron: the Vicar of Longdon. The church is old. There are an endowed school with £18 and charities £15."
There is no article on Chaceley in Wikipedia.
In 1931 Chaceley was transferred from Worcestershire to Gloucestershire although it had been part of Tewkesbury Rural District since 1894. Chaceley joined the Gloucester Rural District in 1937 when the Tewkesbury Rural District was abolished and became part of the wider Tewkesbury District or Borough after the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974.
It would appear that Chaceley was spelled "Chaseley" when in Worcestershire and the spelling was changed when the parish was transferred to Gloucestershire.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Alternate sources for Worcestershire will follow in due course.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Pershore (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Registration District, Worcestershire, England | Tewkesbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Chaceley, Worcestershire, England