|Alt names||Certeham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 146|
|Chartham Hatch||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Felborough Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Bridge and Petham Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Bridge Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Bridge Blean Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|Canterbury District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: This is Chartham, not Chatham, Kent, which is a much larger place to the west.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chartham is a village and civil parish on the Great Stour river in the vale of the [[wikipedia:North Downs|Kent Downs, 4 miles (6 km) west of Canterbury, England. A paper mill in the village has specialised in the production of tracing paper since 1938. There are numerous arable farms and orchards in the parish. The village has an unmanned railway station named Chartham, and a manned level crossing. It has an outlying locality sharing in many of the community resources, Chartham Hatch.
The river provided power for the paper mills until some point before 1955. Paper making has been a major occupation for the last 625 years; the mill dates from the late eighteenth century.
In the census of 1801 the number of people present in the parish of Chartham, enclosing an area of about 3 square miles (8 km2) and including the settlement of Chartham Hatch, was given as 776, and this figure remained roughly stable until the late 19th century when a dramatic increase was recorded: in the census of 1881, the number was given as 2,473. In 2011 the area of the parish was measured at 20.84 km2 (8.05 sq mi) and it had a population of 4,261.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Chartham was originally an ancient parish in the Felborough Hundred and also in the Bridge and Pethem Hundred. Between 1894 and 1935 it was part of the Bridge Rural District. In 1935 Bridge Rural District was abolished and the area was absorbed into Bridge Blean Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Canterbury District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Chartham, Kent, England | Felborough Hundred, Kent, England | Bridge and Petham Hundred, Kent, England | Bridge Rural, Kent, England | Bridge Blean Rural, Kent, England | Canterbury District, Kent, England