|Alt names||East Charlton||source: settlement in parish|
|West Charlton||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Bellingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which East and West Charlton were townships|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Charlton is a civil parish in Northumberland, England. The civil parish includes two settlements: East Charlton and West Charlton. It is about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the northwest of Bellingham, on the River North Tyne. East Charlton and West Charlton were originally townships of Bellingham ancient parish. They were made into civil parishes in 1866 but were combined into Charlton twenty years later.
From 1894 until 1974 Charlton parish was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Charlton became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Charlton, Northumberland, England | Bellingham, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England