- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Charlecote from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHARLCOTE, a village and a parish in Stratford-on-Avon [registration] district, Warwick[shire]. The village stands on the river Avon, 3¾ miles W of the Fosse way, and 4½ ENE of Stratford-on-Avon [railway] station. The parish includes also the hamlets of Thelsford and Hunscote; and its post town is Hampton-Lucy, under Warwick. Acres: 2,190. Real property: £4,025. Population: 245. Houses: 54. The manor, with all the property, belongs to Henry Lucy, Esq. The Lucys have been in possession since the time of Richard I. The manor-house, Charlcote House, was built in 1558, by Sir Thomas Lucy, believed to be the Justice Shallow of Shakspeare. It forms three sides of a quadrangle; shows all the characteristics of the Tudor architecture; has been altered and renovated in strict keeping with its original character; has a gatehouse with an oriel window, flanked by octagon towers, and stands in an extensive well-wooded park. The great hall is believed to have been the scene of Shakpeare's examination, consequent on his deer stealing exploit; and retains many of the features which it originally possessed. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £183. Patron: Henry Lucy, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1853, in the decorated style of the 14th century; and the Lucy chapel, separated from the chancel by a richly carved oaken screen, contains the monument of Sir Thomas Lucy and his lady by Bernini, and two other interesting monuments. Charities, £10."
The ancient parish in which Charlecote was a chapelry is not given by Wilson or by Wikipedia. A Vision of Britain through Time says it became an ancient parish "early". It was located in the Kington Hundred of Warwickshire, England.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Stratford on Avon Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the non-metropolitan Stratford on Avon District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Chalecote Park. This traces the ownership of the park (and the parish) from 1247 to the present. For the most part it has been in the hands of the Lucy family. Sir William Lucy appears to be the earliest generation listed here in WeRelate, but more work could be done on the family from online sources.
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.