Chapel Allerton is an inner suburb of north-east Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, from the city centre. The Chapel Allerton electoral ward includes areas otherwise referred to as Chapeltown and Potternewton – the suburb is generally considered to be only the northern part of this. The ward population was given as 18,206 in the 2001 census.
Chapel Allerton became a part of Leeds in 1835.
Chapel Allerton is first attested as Alreton (probably from Old English alor 'alder' and tūn 'estate, farm', thus meaning Alder farm) in the Domesday Book, then in 1240 a charter referred to land "which lies between the road which goes to the Chapel of Allerton and the bounds of Stainbeck". The chapel was associated with Kirkstall Abbey and was demolished in the 18th century: however the site remains between Harrogate Road and Church Street. The name Chapel Allerton was reduced to Chapeltown (first attested in 1427), and from this time both names co-existed and were essentially interchangeable. Ralph Thoresby, writing in 1715, records Chapel-Town as a common name for the township of Chapel Allerton, describing it as "well situated in pure Air, upon a pleasant Ascent, which affords a Prospect of the Country ten or twelve miles". The open space to its east and north of Potter-Newton was "a delicate Green commonly call'd Chapel-Town Moor"."
In medieval times the area was mostly small farms, but by the end of the 17th century it had become a resort or second home for wealthy people from Leeds and in 1767 was described as the Montpellier of Yorkshire by one visitor.
Historically, Chapel Allerton had a strong connection with the Irish, as many families in the area being Irish immigrants or of Irish descent.