Chantilly is an unincorporated community in western Fairfax County in Northern Virginia and a census-designated place (CDP). A portion of Chantilly is located within the South Riding, Virginia CDP located to the immediate west, but within Loudoun County, Virginia. The Chantilly CDP population was 23,039 as of the 2010 census. Chantilly is named after an early-19th-century mansion and farm, which in turn took the name of an 18th-century plantation that was located in Westmoreland County, Virginia. The name "Chantilly" originated in France with the Château de Chantilly, just North of Paris.
Chantilly is part of the Washington metropolitan area and is approximately 25 miles (39 km) from Washington, D.C., via Interstate 66. The Chantilly CDP is centrally located between Centreville, Virginia to the Southwest, Herndon, Virginia and Reston, Virginia, to the North and Northeast, respectively, and Fairfax, Virginia, which is approximately 5 miles to the East. Chantilly neighbors U.S. Route 50 and Virginia State Route 28, which provide access to the Dulles/Reston/Tysons Corner technology corridor and other major employment centers in Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. The Chantilly CDP is also less than 4 milles west of Fair Lakes, Virginia, which includes the Eastern Market at Fair Lakes, Fair Lakes Promenade, The Shops at Fair Lakes, and the Fair Oaks Mall.
Chantilly was home to a number of colonial plantations in the 1700s, including The Sully Plantation (now the Sully Historic Site) built by Richard Bland Lee I. Other plantations included George Richard Lee Turberville's "Leeton Grove" (originally a 5,000+ acre plantation, the main house of which still stands at 4619 Walney Rd.), the John Hutchison Farm, and the "Chantilly Plantation", after which Chantilly is named. Cornelia Lee Turberville Stuart, who was born at Leeton and was the daughter of George Richard Lee Turberville & Henrietta Lee, inherited a portion of Leeton in 1817 from her father. Stuart and her husband Charles Calvert Stuart, whom she had married in 1816, constructed the Chantilly Plantation and named it after the Westmoreland County, VA plantation owned by her grandfather - Richard Henry Lee - a signer of the Declaration of Independence. During the Civil War, federal troops destroyed by fire the main residence of the Chantilly Plantation—the Chantilly Plantation Manor. One building—a lonely, stone house remains, across Route 50 from the Greenbriar Shopping Center. While it is not clear what this stone house was used for, most historical evidence suggests it was probably a plantation overseer's quarters during the antebellum period, and a tavern or boarding house following the War. Following the War, Cornelia Stuart, who had become deeply in debt, sold her 1,064 acre Chantilly estate. The advertisement for the sale referenced several "tenements", one of which was the Stone House.
The evolution of the Chantilly area into an outer suburb of Washington, D.C., gained momentum after 1980, as developers built residential subdivisions and commercial areas, filling in the farm land south of Dulles Airport.