The Town of Champion is in the southern part of the county and is east of Watertown.
Settlement began around 1798. General Henry Champion purchased the lands and sent his surveyor, Noadiah Hubbard to the land. Hubbard settled in the area where his homestead still exist today.
The town was established in 1800 from part of the Town of Mexico (Now in Oswego County) before the county was created. It was named after Henry Champion, who in return for his gratitude, commissioned a bell for the town church. In 1803, part of the town was used to establish part of the Town of Harrisburg (now in Lewis County). Early settlers hoped the town would become the locale for the county seat, but were disappointed.
The community of West Carthage set itself apart from the town in 1889 by incorporating as a village.