"CHAMBLY CANTON, a thriving post village in Chambly co., Que., pleasantly situated on the west side of the Richelieu River (which here expands into a beautiful lake), between the rapids and the east side of St. Johns Canal, and on the Montreal, Portland & Boston Ry., under the management of the C.V.R., 16 miles from Montreal. It contains grist, carding and woollen mills, 1 telegraph office, 3 hotels and 4 stores, and possesses unlimited water-power. This place was named after Mons. de Chambly, who erected a fort here in 1711. The fort has some resemblance to an ancient castle. As many as 6000 troops have been encamped on the plain near it. Pop. 846."