|Alt names||Ceptune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Chalkton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Catherington Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chalton is a small village and civil parish in the East Hampshire District of Hampshire. It is 2.3 miles (3.7 km) northeast of Horndean, just east of the A3 road.
The Church of England Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels has a thirteenth-century chancel; the registers include burials in woollen cloth from 1678-1746. Clanfield and Chalton ecclesiastical parishes were amalgamated 1932. Chalton was listed as part of the 'Hundred of Finchdean' in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Admiral Richard Goodwin Keats, famous for his actions at the Battle of Algeciras Bay in 1801 was born in Chalton in 1757.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Chalton.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Chalton, Hampshire, England | Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England | Catherington Rural, Hampshire, England | Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England