- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Chalcombe is a village and civil parish in the South Northamptonshire District in Northamptonshire, England, about 3 miles (5 km) northeast of Banbury in neighbouring Oxfordshire. Chalcombe is spelt Chacombe in various sources including FamilySearch and Wikipedia. The parish is bounded to the west by the River Cherwell, to the north by a tributary of the Cherwell and to the southeast by the main road between Banbury and Syresham. The 2011 UK Census recorded the parish's population as 659.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Chalcombe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CHALCOMBE, or Chacombe, a parish in the [registration] district of Banbury and county of Northampton; adjacent to the river Cherwell, near the Oxford and Rugby and the Buckinghamshire railways, 3¾ miles NE of Banbury. It has a post office under Banbury. Acres: 1,694. Real property: £4,213. Population: 468. Houses: 111. The property is much subdivided. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. A priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Hugh de Chacombe; and given, at the dissolution, to the Foxes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £250. Patron: W. Martin, Esq. The church is chiefly decorated English; has a porch and a tower; and contains a fine Norman font and a brass of 1500. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels."