Radclive is a village on the River Great Ouse just over west of Buckingham in Buckinghamshire, England. It is in the civil parish of Radclive-cum-Chackmore in Aylesbury Vale district. The parish includes the hamlet of Chackmore about north of Buckingham.
Radclive's toponym is derived from the Old English for "red cliff", referring to the colour of the local soil and a cliff overlooking the river. The Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as Radeclive.
Parts of the Church of England parish church of Saint John the Evangelist date from 1200 but the tower is believed to be 100 years later. There are some rare early English pews decorated with poppy heads, and a Jacobean communion rail with openwork balustrading. The nave window contains some examples of 14th century stained glass that survived the English Reformation and the English Civil War.
The Manor House was built in about 1620 and is the remaining part of a much larger mansion. The house contains an original oak staircase which has an open balustrade with finial topped ovals and lozenges, very similar in design to the staircase at Princes Risborough Manor House.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Radclive.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References