|Alt names||Central Wingland||source: from redirect|
|Type||Civil parish, Locality|
|Located in||Norfolk, England ( - 1897)|
|Also located in||Lincolnshire, England (1897 - )|
|See also||Freebridge Marshland Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Central Wingland Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1897|
|East Elloe Rural, Holland, England||rural district in which it was located 1897-1954|
|Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire, England||civil parish to which it was transferred in 1954|
|South Holland District, Lincolnshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Central Wingland from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
- "Wingland, Central, par., Lincoln and Norfolk, 7 miles W. of Kings Lynn, pop. 245."
Central Wingland was an extraparochial area which became a civil parish from 1858 until 1954. It was located on the border of Norfolk and Lincolnshire and had links to the Hundreds and Wapentakes, Poor Law Unions and Rural Districts of both counties. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
The single civil parish of Central Wingland constituted a rural district of the same name in Norfolk between 1894 and 1897. There were a number of boundary changes between Norfolk parishes in 1897, but no information as to what happened to Central Wingland parish or rural district. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time). However, Central Wingland is listed as one of the parishes in the East Elloe Rural District in Holland, Parts of Lincolnshire. Obviously the responsibility for this parish was transferred from one county to the other. This civil parish was abolished in 1954 and its area transferred to the parish of Sutton Bridge in Lincolnshire. This civil parish was abolished in 1954 and its area transferred to the parish of Sutton Bridge in Lincolnshire. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
All three maps below show Central Wingland in Lincolnshire. It is located on the Norfolk border and adjacent to Sutton Bridge parish. It does not appear to have any settlements though Wingland Grange and Gunthorpe Sluice appear to be farms.
- Maps provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time show all the parishes and many villages and hamlets. (Small local reorganization of parishes took place in the 1930s led to differences between the latter two maps.):
- GENUKI provides a page on Central Wingland in its Lincolnshire section.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Central Wingland, Lincolnshire, England | Freebridge Marshland Hundred, Norfolk, England | Central Wingland Rural, Norfolk, England | East Elloe Rural, Holland, England | Holland, England | South Holland District, Lincolnshire, England