NOTE: There is another place named Catton (near Thirsk) in the North Riding of Yorkshire.
Catton is a civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated 6 miles (10 km) to the north-west of the market town of Pocklington and covering an area of 1,232.568 hectares (3,045.74 acres). It lies on the east bank of the River Derwent that forms the boundary with the unitary authority of the City of York. The A1079 road crosses the river at just north of Kexby Bridge which is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building.
Historically, Low Catton was the ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill. From 1894 until 1935, High and Low Catton were located in Pocklington Rural District. In 1935 Catton was formed from the two earlier civil parishes.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.