the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Old Catton is a suburban village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk which lies 2 miles (3.2 km) to the northeast of central Norwich. The parish is bounded by the Norwich International Airport at Hellesdon to the west and Sprowston to the east. The northern boundary is with the village of Spixworth while the A1042 road forms the southern boundary. It covers an area of 2.33 km2 (0.90 sq mi) and had a population of 5,954 in 2,512 households at the 2001 UK census For the purposes of local government, it falls within the District of Broadland.
The settlement was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. Until recent times Catton was an agricultural village but following the late 18th and 19th century development of the Catton Park estate (laid out by Humphry Repton in 1788) several wealthy Norwich families including the Gurneys, Jewsons, Buxtons, Lindleys, Norman and the Tilletts built their houses here.
Anna Sewell and her parents moved into the house at Spixworth Road in September, 1867. She began writing the children's classic Black Beauty here in 1871 and completed her book in 1877. Sewell died in the house in 1878.
In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described New Catton like this:
New Catton was part of the civil parish of Norwich St. Clement (one of the many ecclesiastical parishes of Norwich which were also civil parishes in the 19th century) which was absorbed into the City of Norwich in 1889. In other words it was the southern part of Catton and more urban than Old Catton.