|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Richmond Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, England||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
|Hang East Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Catterick is a village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. It is north-west of the county town of Northallerton just to the west of the River Swale. It lends its name to nearby Catterick Garrison and the nearby hamlet of Catterick Bridge, the home of Catterick Bridge Racecourse where the village Sunday market is held. It lies on the route of the old Roman Road of Dere Street and was home to a small Roman fortification.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Catterick was part of Richmond Rural District. Historically, it was an the ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Hang East.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Catterick, North Yorkshire.