|Alt names||Hinton Daubney||source: hamlet in parish|
|Lovedean||source: chapelry in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Catherington Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Horndean, Hampshire, England||civil parish into which part of the parish was transferred in 1932|
|Havant, Hampshire, England||civil parish into which part of the parish was transferred in 1932|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the Horndean part since 1974|
|Havant District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the Havant part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Catherington was originally a civil parish in the Finchdean Hundred and then in Catherington Rural District from 1894 until 1932. In 1932 it was split between the civil parishes of Havant in Havant Urban District and Horndean, with the southern, more urban part joining Havant, and the more rural northern part going to Horndean in Petersfield Rural District.
Catherington is not a very large village and has an approximate population of 3900 (estimated 1998). It has a church, All Saints, in the churchyard of which is the tomb of Admiral Sir Charles Napier (1786-1860) and a monument to another Admiral, Sir Christopher Cradock (1862-1914), as well as the tomb of the actor Edmund Kean (1789-1833).
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Catherington.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Catherington, Hampshire, England | Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England | Catherington Rural, Hampshire, England | Horndean, Hampshire, England | Havant, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England | Havant District, Hampshire, England