Castletownshend on Ireland's southwest coast, is a village about eight km from Skibbereen, in County Cork, Ireland. The village developed around a small 17th century castle built by Richard Townsend, whose descendants still reside there. , the castle is open to the public as a bed and breakfast.
The main street of the town, lined with large homes from the 18th century, runs down a sharply sloped hill leading to Castlehaven Harbour and the castle. The Church of St. Barrahane (COI), built in 1826, overlooks the town. Its main architect was James Pain. This replaced the original Church built in 1761. There are 52 steps up to the Church, one for every Sunday of the year. It is noted for its stained glass windows; the East Window by Harry Clarke, was given to the Church in 1915 in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Somerville by their Grandchildren. The Window in the South Wall of the Chancel and The Third Window on the South Side are also by Harry Clarke. The Eastern Window on the North Side, The Eastern Most Window on the South Side and The Second Window on the South Side are all by Powell's of London. In the Church Porch there is an Oar from a rescue boat from the S.S. Lusitania (sank by a German U Boat in 1915) in memory of the many drowned passengers and crew who were brought into the Harbour.
The Church is also noted for the classical music festival it has sponsored every year since 1980.