|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Danby (near Whitby), North Riding of Yorkshire, England||parish of which Castleton is a part|
|Guisborough Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1932|
|Whitby Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1932-1974|
|Scarborough District, North Yorkshire, England||district municipality in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Castleton is a village on the River Esk, part of the civil parish of Danby, now in the county of North Yorkshire, England. It is about 15 miles south-east of Middlesbrough, in the North York Moors. There was once a medieval castle sited on Castle Hill.
From 1894 until 1932, Danby parish was part of Guisborough Rural District. In 1932 it was transferred to Whitby Rural District. Since the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 it has been in the administration district named Scarborough Borough. Historically, it was an ecclesiastical parish of in the Langbargh Wapentake.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Castleton, North Yorkshire.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Scarborough District, North Yorkshire, England | Guisborough Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Whitby Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Langbargh Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England