Place:Castle Frome, Herefordshire, England

NameCastle Frome
Alt namesBrismerfrumsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 129
Castle-Fromesource: Family History Library Catalog
Coordinates52.1022°N 2.4978°W
Located inHerefordshire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Herefordshire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoRadlow Hundred, Herefordshire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: All references point to Castle Frome and Canon Frome being two different places. However, they are less than 5 miles apart and Wilson reports that both had the same population in the same number of households.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Castle Frome from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CASTLE-FROME, a parish in Ledbury [registration] district, Hereford; on the river Frome, 3 miles NNE of Ashperton [railway] station, and 6 NNW of Ledbury. Post Town, Bishops-Frome, under Worcester. Acres: 1,511. Real property: £2,042. Population: 115. Houses: 18. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value: £300. Patron: F. T. Freeman, Esq. The church is good."

Research Tips