Place:Castle Ashby, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameCastle Ashby
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.222°N 0.742°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoHardingstone Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Northampton Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
South Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Castle Ashby is the name of a civil parish, an estate village and an English country house in rural Northamptonshire. Historically the village was set up to service the needs of Castle Ashby Manor, the seat of the Marquess of Northampton. The village has one small pub-hotel, The Falcon. At the time of the 2001 census, the parish's population was 134 people. The village contains many houses rebuilt from the 1860s onwards. These include work by the architect E.F. Law of Northampton, whose work can also be seen nearby at Horton Church. The castle is the result of a license obtained in 1306, for Walter Langton, Bishop of Coventry, to castellate his mansion in the village of Ashby.

Research Tips

These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Castle Ashby. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.