Cassadaga is a village in Chautauqua County, New York, United States. The village is located within the northeast corner of the town of Stockton, east of the hamlet of Stockton, south of and immediately adjacent to Lily Dale in the town of Pomfret, and north of the village of Sinclairville. As of the 2010 census, the population of Cassadaga was 634.
Cassadaga is a Seneca name meaning "water under the rocks", descriptive not only of the natural springs of the area flowing from glacial moraines, but that in dry weather, many of the local streams would "disappear", the spring-fed water running wholly within the gravelly bottom of the stream beds draining from the surrounding hills.
Cassadaga was settled in 1848 at the headwaters of the technically navigable Cassadaga Creek, though the upper few miles of it are not practically so today due to numerous shallows and beaver activity along its course.
The village was formally incorporated in 1921.
Early settlers utilized the abundant and large trees (some exceeding in diameter) as a primary source of income, often sent via log rafts and flatboat on the creek as timber, charcoal and pearl ash, the latter two products in demand in the early Industrial Age.
The Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley and Pittsburgh Railroad, which laid track from Dunkirk, New York, and eventually to Warren, Pennsylvania, passed on the west side of the Cassadaga Lakes in the spring of 1871. The tracks ran through the then adjoining hamlet of Burnhams which was later annexed by the village. The railroad contributed greatly to the economy of the area, both as a source of population growth and visitors to the lakes and rolling hills for recreation, and for transportation of the forest and farm products of the area to more urban centers, as well as for ice harvested from the lakes in winter for refrigeration. The Webster Citizens Company ice house stood on the west shore of the Upper Lake with a three-car rail siding to serve it, and was listed as a railroad business as late as 1931. The Cassadaga Spring Water Company had a siding on the Middle Lake where it bottled water from a leased spring on the north side of the Glenn Halladay farm for shipment by rail to city customers primarily in Buffalo, though it had ceased operations by the late 1920s as municipal water supply systems improved. The rail line was abandoned after extensive flood damage near Sinclairville from Hurricane Agnes in 1972, and subsequently removed.