- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Cartworth is a civil parish located to the south of Huddersfield town centre. It was part of the urban district of Holmfirth from 1894 until 1921 when it was absorbed into Holmfirth civil parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cartworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CARTWORTH, a township in Kirkburton parish, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; on a branch of the river Colne, 6 miles S of Huddersfield. It includes part of the village of Holmfirth, and part of the hamlet of Scholes. Acres: 2,820. Real property: £7,930; of which £122 are in quarries. Population: 2,503. Houses: 503. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen manufacture."
- GENUKI on Cartworth. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Kirkburton provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Cartworth.
- An online map supplied by Vision of Britain illustrating the boundaries between civil parishes in the Cartworth area.