Place:Cartington, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.334°N 1.946°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoRothbury, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Debdon, Northumberland, Englandparish which was absorbed into Cartington in 1955
Mount Healey, Northumberland, Englandparish which was absorbed into Cartington in 1955
Alnwick District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Cartington is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England. It is about 11 miles (18 km) southwest of Alnwick, and about 2 miles (3 km) northwest of Rothbury, and had a population of 97 in the UK census of 2001. At the 2011 Census the population remained less than 100. Details were included in Callaly parish.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Cartington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CARTINGTON, a township in Rothbury parish, Northumberland; on an affluent of the river Coquet, 3 miles NW by N of Rothbury. It includes the township of Bankhead and the hamlet of Sandylands. Acres: 1,912. Population: 84. Houses: 15. Cartington Castle was a seat of the Ratcliffes and the Widdringtons. "

Cartington was a township in the ancient parish of Rothbury and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 Cartington absorbed the civil parishes of Debdon and Mount Healey, so that the parish now surrounds Rothbury on almost three sides.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Cartington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.