Carroll County is an American county located in the State of Georgia, just east of the boundary with Alabama. As of the 2010 census, its population was about 110,527. Its county seat is the town of Carrollton.
The land of Lee, Muscogee, Troup, Coweta, and Carroll Counties was ceded by the Creek people in the Treaty of Indian Springs (1825). This land was the last remaining portion of the Creeks' territory in Georgia, and it was ceded by William McIntosh, the chief of the Lower Creeks or the "White Sticks". This cession resulted in his murder at McIntosh Reserve near the present Whitesburg by fellow Creeks from northern Alabama called the "Red Sticks" or Upper Creeks.
The boundaries of Carroll County were created by the Georgia General Assembly on June 9, but the county were not named until December 14, 1826. Carroll County was named for Charles Carroll of Baltimore, Maryland, at that time the last surviving signer of the U.S. Declaration of Independence, when the county was created in 1826. Carrollton, the county seat, was named similarly.
This county originally extended from the Chattahoochee River to the Alabama state line on the east and on the west, with its northern boundary just north of present day Interstate 20 with the Cherokee Nation. This land was carved up over time to become Carroll, Douglas, Heard Counties, and parts of Haralson and Troup Counties. The portion that became Douglas County was once Campbell County which no longer exists (divided between Douglas County and Fulton County).
Because of its small population of slaves, this county was known as the Free State of Carroll during the 1850s.
Even before the cession of the territory by the Cherokees, some white settlers lived in the northern part of the county in the area of Villa Rica.
Carroll County was the site of Georgia's first Gold Rush.
For a time Carroll County was the home of Horace King (architect). King helped build Moore's Bridge over the Chattahoochee River at Whitesburg. Moores Bridge was burned by Union Soldiers during the Civil War.
During the War between the States, the county provided the Bowdon Volunteers and the Carroll Boys, which were a part of Cobb's Legion.
In Feb. 2008 several tornadoes hit Carroll County destroying several homes and damaging many more. Then on May 11, 2008 (Mother's Day) some of the same areas were hit by more tornadoes. The Mother's Day tornadoes destroyed and damaged many homes and businesses.
On Sept. 21 2009 portions of Carroll County were flooded after eight days of heavy rainfall, resulting in multiple fatalities. The flooding initially closed more than 60 highways and roads, and it destroyed a number of bridges. Early estimates of the damage totaled to 22.0 million dollars.