Carroll is a town in Coos County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 763 at the 2010 census. The two largest villages are Twin Mountain and Bretton Woods. Carroll is an important access point for recreational areas in the White Mountains, including many 4,000-footers, the Zealand River area, the Presidential Range, and the Presidential Dry River Wilderness. The town is crossed by the Appalachian Trail and is home to the Mount Washington Hotel at Bretton Woods. It is also home to the Highland Center at Crawford Notch, the Appalachian Mountain Club's four-season lodge.
It was granted by Governor John Wentworth on February 8, 1772 to Sir Thomas Wentworth, Samuel Langdon and 81 others. Sir Thomas Wentworth resided in West Bretton, England on his estate called Bretton Hall, after which the township was named Bretton Woods. On the 1816 Carrigain map of New Hampshire, it appears as "Breton Woods." On 22 June 1832, the town was incorporated by the General Court as Carroll, in honor of Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Although the surface is uneven and bounded by mountains, farmers found the soil "strong and deep." It has many small streams, tributaries of the Ammonoosuc River, which in the 19th-century were noted for abundant trout. By 1859, Carroll had a starch factory, and two lumber mills that produced boards, shingles, clapboards and laths.
But it is tourism that brought fame and prosperity to the area. Hannah and Abel Crawford turned their log cabin into an inn, then built The Notch House in 1828. In 1874, the Boston, Concord & Montreal Railroad reached Fabyan Station, an important junction joined the next year by the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad. Here stood The Fabyan House, a grand hotel built by Sylvester Marsh and his colleagues, who also built the nearby Mount Washington Cog Railway. The hotel burned in 1951. The Mount Pleasant House was built in 1875, although demolished in 1939. But the grandest of all was the Mount Washington Hotel, built in 1902 and still operating. Here was held the 1944 International Monetary Conference, which resulted in the creation of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.