Carrington is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford, Greater Manchester, England. Historically a part of Cheshire, the village is west of Greater Manchester Urban Area, and is the site of a large gas and chemical works, which produce gases by fractional distillation of liquid air. It used to be the site of a Shell Chemicals refinery, which produced polythene and polystyrene.
Until recent years there was a Carrington Power Station located on the south bank of the Manchester Ship Canal. The building work commenced in 1947, although the land for the site was acquired in 1916. The station opened in 1956, and was decommissioned during the late 1980s. It was demolished using explosives in the mid-1990s, having stood empty for several years. All that remains today is a large 400kV switching station. The station had its own railway spur from the Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale line, evidence of which can still be seen today from the gates where the line crossed Manchester Road.
In July 2007, Bridestones Developments acquired planning permission for a new 860MW CCGT (Combined Cycle Gas Turbine) power station, to be built on the same site as the old power station, providing sufficient electrical power for up to 350,000 homes, and 40 to 50 new jobs in the area.
The village is better known to motorists as the location of the former A6144(M), the Carrington Spur.
Carrington was a civil parish from 1866. From 1894 until 1974 the better part of the parish was in Bucklow Rural District, but part was transferred to Altrincham Urban District in 1920. In 1974 the whole area came under the administration of Trafford Metropolitan Borough in Greater Manchester.