West Allen was a chapelry of Allendale and was created a civil parish in 1897 from sections of the parish of Allendale. The two later maps of Northumberland listed below show that the parishes of Allendale and West Allen were each made up of a number of detached portions interspersed by other areas labelled with single letters late in the alphabet and listed as "lands common to Allendale and West Allen".
From the map of 1944 the largest settlement in West Allen parish is named Carr Shield.
Carrshield is a village in Northumberland, England. It is situated in the Pennines approximately between Penrith and Hexham. It is a small village with an old school building situated in the centre of the village. The school was built in 1851 but is no longer a working school and is now three houses.
Carrshield is surrounded by beautiful fell ground and is littered with old disused mines. Remnants of the old stone works where the lead was mined are still able to be seen next to the river. There are no shops in Carrshield; the Post Office closed down because of lack of business.
Carrshield has numerous farms surrounding it, including a Stud and Rehabilitation Centre for horses. It also has a Methodist Chapel
The village name is often misspelt on older maps (even the county website) as 'Carr Shield' but is now correct on OS maps.