|Alt names||Carlehtone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 29|
|Located in||Bedfordshire, England|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Carlton is a village in the Bedford district of Bedfordshire, England, part of the Carlton with Chellington parish with the adjacent village of Chellington. The River Great Ouse runs just to the north of the village. Nearby places are Harrold, Pavenham, Turvey, Lavendon and Odell.
Carlton was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as a parish within the Hundred of Willey. In 1934 the separate parishes of Carlton and Chellington merged to become one the parish named Carlton with Chellington.
The village has historically been laid out in a rectangular road pattern, the main parts of the village being around the roads of Bridgend and the High Street, with The Moor and The Causeway making up the rectangle's other sides. During the twentieth century the areas in between have been filled out with housing along the roads of Rectory Close, Carriers Way, Street Close, and Beeby Way. Carlton Park is located in Rectory Close and features three swings, a small basketball court, a football pitch and climbing frame. It also features one of the main landmarks of Carlton, its giant Oak tree.
Carlton's church is Saint Mary the Virgin, dating from 950AD with a font from c. 1150 is sited outside the current village.
Carlton has one pub, The Fox, while until relatively recently also had another called The Royal Oak. The Oak has been closed since 31st March 2009 and has been sold for development. There is a Post Office and Village Shop located on Carlton's bussiest through road, Bridgend. There is also one school, Carlton VC Lower School, and village hall which is also used as the school's assembly and sports hall. The Village has an Emmaus community which includes a busy cafe / restaurant, furniture repair workshop and second hand shop with furniture, books, china, clothes and bricabrac.