|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||South Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Owston, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||parish of which it was a part until 1974|
|Doncaster Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1915|
|Adwick le Street, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||urban district in which it was located 1915-1974|
|Doncaster (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England||metropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Carcroft is a rural village part of the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, the village is roughly six miles north north west of Doncaster.
Historically, Carcroft was in the ecclesiastical parish of Owston in the wapentake of Osgoldcross. From 1894 until 1915, Carcroft was located in Doncaster Rural District. In 1915, Carcroft was absorbed into the newly formed Adwick le Street Urban District. In 1974 the whole of the urban district became part of Doncaster metropolitan borough in South Yorkshire.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Carcroft.
- GENUKI on Carcroft. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Owston provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Carcroft. (This is one of Vision of Britain's supplementary entries.)
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!