Capitol Hill Cemetery is in Cambridge City in Jackson Township in Wayne County, Indiana, USA.
It is an abandoned cemetery with the last burial there in 1931. Some of the burials were moved to Riverside Cemetery.
Directions: From the intersection of Hwy 40 (National Rd/Main St) and Hwy 1 (S Woodpecker Rd), go west on 40 toward Cambridge City. Take first left onto S Lee St. and continue straight (through lumber business - ask permission). Road narrows and continues up small hill which opens into a clearing containing the old cemetery.
Search Find A Grave
Some History of Capitol Hill Cemetery and How It Came to Be Abandoned in Favor of Riverside Cemetery
(by Becky Grigsby, "The History of Riverside Cemetery", 1836-1986 Cambridge City Sesquicentennial, Cambridge City Chamber of Commerce)
When Cambridge City was plotted in 1836 upon the arrival of the first settlers, a place was laid aside as a burial ground for the town's people. Two acres, one each from George Graham and Ira Lackey, "south of third Street, east of the river" were donated. The cemetery, later called Capitol Hill, fell into disfavor in the 1860's due to complaints of poor soil, inaccessibility, noise from the railroad, small size and poor terrain.
In early 1867 several of the town's leading ladies took it upon themselves to find a more suitable burial ground. A site near the National Road between Dublin and Cambridge City was chosen, then rejected. The ladies then decided to expand the existing cemetery and payments were made to Gen. Solomon Meredith for land contiguous to the old plot. When the new addition was found objectionable for the same reasons as the old, Meredith willingly refunded the payments.
In February 1868 a committee was appointed to find a suitable place. In March, the committee reported in favor of ground lying north of East Cambridge on the Hagerstown Pike, lying between it and the Whitewater River, the present location of Riverside Cemetery.
The land, owned by John Callaway, was purchased for an unbelievable $250 an acre. He secured the sale by taking ten percent interest, as well as variable length corporation bonds. The high price of the land gave the new enterprise an uphill battle, but to make things worse, the town trustees mortgaged the ground back to Callaway. This made the issuance of satisfactory deeds impossible and people were afraid to buy lots for fear the cemetery plan might be abandoned.
For several years the growth of Riverside was stagnated. Finally, a new town board realized it was imperative to pay off the debt. They agreed to redeem the bonds if Callaway would release the mortgage. This brought the current cemetery into more prominent usage, and Capitol Hill was completely abandoned. The last burial there was in 1931.