Capel-le-Ferne , the name of which derives from the phrase "Chapel in the Ferns", is a village situated near Folkestone, Kent. It has a population of approximately 2,400. Perched on top of the White cliffs of Dover, its foremost attraction is the Battle of Britain Memorial, opened by the Queen Mother on 9 July 1993 and dedicated to those who fought in the Battle of Britain between 10 July and 31 October 1940. The Memorial is built upon part of a former WW2 coastal battery (No. 2 and No. 3 guns). The other part of the Coastal Battery is in private hands and under restoration. The Channel Tunnel runs underneath the northernmost part of the village.
The New Dover Road, B2011, that runs between Folkestone and Dover is the main carriageway. However, it feels distant from the nearby A20 used by freight and ferry traffic heading for the port of Dover. There is plenty of local countryside and the cliffs offer a spectacular walking opportunity, including towards the East Cliff and Warren Country Park in the direction of Folkestone. Towards Dover, Samphire Hoe can be reached and the area is popular for walking or cycling. The village is twinned with the commune of Oye-Plage in the Pas-de-Calais department in France, about 7 miles (12 km) east of Calais, on the junction of the D219 and the D940.