The area was formerly controlled by the Onondaga tribe.
French missionaries and explorers passed through the area in the middle of the 17th century.
The Town of Cape Vincent was originally part of the Town of Lyme.
In 1849 the Town of Cape Vincent separated from the Town of Lyme.
The Village of Cape Vincent was incorporated in 1853. At the time of its incorporation the Village of Cape Vincent had a population of 1218.
By the end of the 19th century, the area was becoming a vacation land due to the nearby Thousand Islands.