|Alt names||Caneuuic||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 169|
|Canuic||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 169|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Lincolnshire, England|
|Also located in||Kesteven, England (1889 - 1974)|
|See also||Lincoln Registration District, Lincolnshire, England||1837-1933|
|Branston Rural, Kesteven, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1931|
|North Kesteven Rural, Kesteven, England||rural district in which it was located 1931-1974|
|North Kesteven District, Lincolnshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Canwick is village and civil parish in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 1 mile (1.6 km) south from the city and county town of Lincoln.
The village overlooks the Witham Valley, where the River Witham follows an ice-age cut through the jurassic limestone ridge which forms the spine of the county.
The Grade I listed Anglican church is dedicated to All Saints. It is a Saxon-era foundation, but was significantly improved by the same Norman bishops who built Lincoln Cathedral.
Canwick Hall was the seat of the Sibthorp family from the 17th to the 20th century, with the present structure being erected in 1810. Family members included the botanist John Sibthorp (1713-1797)and several MPs, including Charles de Laet Waldo Sibthorp (1783-1855).
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.
- Maps provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time show all the parishes and many villages and hamlets. (Small local reorganization of parishes took place in the 1930s led to differences between the latter two maps.):
- GENUKI's page on Lincolnshire's Archive Service gives addresses, phone numbers, webpages for all archive offices, museums and libraries in Lincolnshire which may store old records and also presents a list entitled "Hints for the new researcher" which may include details of which you are not aware. These suggestions are becoming more and more outdated, but there's no telling what may be expected in a small library.
- GENUKI also has pages of information on individual parishes, particularly ecclesiastical parishes. The author may just come up with morsels not supplied in other internet-available sources.
- Deceased Online now has records for 11 cemeteries and two crematoria in Lincolnshire. This includes Grimsby's Scartho Road cemetery, Scartho Road crematorium, and Cleethorpes cemetery, council records for the City of Lincoln and Gainsborough, and older church records from The National Archives for St Michael's in Stamford, and St Mark's in Lincoln, dating back to 1707. This is a pay website.
Categories: Lincolnshire, England | Canwick, Lincolnshire, England | Branston Rural, Kesteven, England | North Kesteven Rural, Kesteven, England | Kesteven, England | North Kesteven District, Lincolnshire, England