Canton is a village in St. Lawrence County, New York, United States. The village is centrally located in both the town of Canton and the county of St. Lawrence. The population was 6,314 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of St. Lawrence County. The name comes from the Chinese city, Canton.
The village of Canton provides many municipal services such as a fully functional village highway department, water and sewer department, volunteer fire department, court system and a police department along with other municipal agencies.
The first attempt at settlement was made in 1800, but the first permanent settlement occurred in 1801. The first post office used the name "New Cairo," but changed to Canton by 1807. The early economy was based on farming and lumbering.
The village was incorporated in 1845. Between 1887 and 1889, the village was modernized with a sewage system, water works, and electrical lighting.
In addition to Herring-Cole Hall Richardson Hall, and the Old Campus Historic District of St. Lawrence University, the Village Park Historic District and United States Post Office are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.