An Indian village on this site, Kanestio Castle, was destroyed in 1765 by Sir William Johnson. Settlers began arriving at the new community around 1789. It was one of the first settlements in what is today Steuben County. The largest growth came after the American Civil War when many factories opened. The village was incorporated in 1873.
Founders of Local Families