Place:Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland

Watchers


NameCampbeltown
Alt namesKinlochkilkerransource: Wikipedia
TypeParish
Coordinates55.433°N 5.633°W
Located inArgyll, Scotland
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Campbeltown (; or Ceann Locha) is a town and former royal burgh in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It lies by Campbeltown Loch on the Kintyre peninsula. Originally known as Kinlochkilkerran (an anglicization of the Gaelic, which means "head of the loch by the kirk of Ciarán"), it was renamed in the 17th century as Campbell's Town after Archibald Campbell (Earl of Argyle) was granted the site in 1667. Campbeltown became an important centre for shipbuilding and Scotch whisky, and a busy fishing port.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Campbeltown. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.