|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Hartburn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Wallington Demesne, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Cambo is a village in Northumberland, England. It is about 11 miles (18 km) to the west of the county town of Morpeth at the junction of the B6342 and B6343 roads. It is part of Wallington Estate, and is a National Trust village.
Wallington, the 17th-century hall, is just south of the village, and has been owned by the National Trust since 1942.
In Cambo village itself, Holy Trinity church dates from 1842, with a west tower added in 1884. The village post office is housed in a three-storey 16th-century bastle house.
Capability Brown (1716-1783), the 18th-century landscape gardener, was educated at the village school. He was born at nearby Kirkharle.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Cambo was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hartburn. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1955 it was abolished and absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Wallington Demesne.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Cambo, Northumberland, England | Hartburn, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England | Wallington Demesne, Northumberland, England