Place:Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers


NameCalverton
TypeVillage
Coordinates53.033°N 1.083°W
Located inNottinghamshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Calverton is a Nottinghamshire parish, of some , about seven miles north-east of Nottingham, situated, like nearby Woodborough, and Lambley, on a small tributary of the Dover Beck. The 2001 census found 6,870 inhabitants in 2,758 households. About two miles to the north of the village is the site of the possible deserted settlement of Salterford.

The parish is bounded on the south-east by Woodborough, to the south-west by Arnold, Papplewick and Ravenshead, to the north by Blidworth, and to the north-east by Oxton and Epperstone.

For most of its existence Calverton was one of the forest villages in that part of Sherwood known as Thorney Wood Chase, with an economy in which handicrafts, like the knitting of stockings, will have assumed a more than usual rural importance. The parliamentary enclosure of 1780 brought agrarian progress to the village, but it was not until the opening of a colliery by the National Coal Board in 1952, that the village began to assume its present identity, with new housing estates and population growth. The colliery closed in 1999 and while a small industrial estate provided some local employment, Calverton has taken on the character of a large commuter village.

In May 1974 the village was officially twinned with , in the Loire valley of France .

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Calverton, Nottinghamshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.