Place:Calvert, Cecil, Maryland, United States

Watchers


NameCalvert
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates39.7°N 75.967°W
Located inCecil, Maryland, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Calvert is an unincorporated community in Cecil County, Maryland, United States, about 6 miles east of Rising Sun. It is named for George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore.

The center of the town is the Cross Keys Inn (Cross Keys Tavern) that was established there on the old Post Road (which is now Calvert Road) in 1774. The Post Road was the main road that ran in between Philadelphia and Baltimore during Revolutionary times. Directly next to the Cross Keys Inn (which is now a private brick residence), is the Calvert Elementary School, operated by Cecil County Public Schools.

The main historical reference in Calvert is the "East Nottingham Friends House" at this intersection. William Smallwood, a general during the Revolutionary War, used this building as a hospital for a short time in 1778, and several soldiers who died at the hospital are buried on its grounds.

The John Churchman House and Elisha Kirk House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Calvert, Maryland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.