Place:Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis (independent city), Missouri, United States

Watchers


NameCalvary Cemetery
TypeCemetery
Coordinates38.7033°N 90.2381°W
Located inSt. Louis (independent city), Missouri, United States     (1854 - )

5239 West Florissant Avenue St. Louis city Missouri USA Phone: (314) 381-1313

Image:Calvary Cem (Small).jpg

Calvary, in North St. Louis, with 477 acres is the second oldest cemetery of the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Established in 1857, it contains the graves of many noted persons who were identified with the very beginning of St. Louis. Others were conspicuous in its later development and in national affairs.

Some of the old burials and tombstones were moved to Calvary from much older Catholic Cemeteries originally existing in the present downtown area. Many of the cemetery memorials and lot designs are of architectural interest. In addition to those listed here, other well-known St. Louis family names will be noticed on monuments along the tour, which begins at the Main entrance of Calvary Cemetery, West Florissant at Union Avenue.


External Links

Calvary Cemetery of the Archdiocese of St. Louis

Wikipedia:Bellefontaine and Calvary Cemeteries